Make-ahead Chinese pork
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 30-40 minutes
- Serves 4
Perfect for having friends over, prepare ahead for less stress on the night or freeze for a quick fix supper.
- 4 carrots , peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- 600g pork fillet, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red pepper , seeded and chopped into large chunks
- 1 tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 1 bunch spring onion , white part left whole, green tops finely sliced
- boiled rice or noodles to serve
- STEP 1
Up to a day ahead, and when you have 15 minutes to spare, prepare the ingredients and toss them all, except for the sliced spring onion tops, together in a large pan. Cover the pan with its lid and refrigerate until you’re ready to eat.
- STEP 2
Pour 600ml/1 pint of boiling water over the pork and vegetables and give everything a good stir. Cover the pan and bring to the boil. Stir and cover again and simmer gently for 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the pork is cooked. (The dish can now be chilled and then frozen for up to 1 month). Just before serving, stir in the spring onion tops. Ladle into bowls with rice or noodles.