Lemon roasted spring chicken with asparagus
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 8 chicken pieces (thighs or drumsticks), bone-in, skin-on
- 2 small onions, cut into quarters
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled, bashed
- 1 lemon, sliced and pips removed
- 500g asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 100g fresh or frozen peas
- 1 heaped tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100ml chicken stock
- 25g butter
- crusty bread, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Arrange the chicken pieces, onion wedges, garlic, lemon slices, asparagus and peas in a roasting tin in a single layer, then sprinkle over the oregano, drizzle with the olive oil and pour over the stock. Give everything a good stir to mix well, then dot the butter over the chicken pieces and season well. Cover the whole tin with foil and bake for 30 mins.
- STEP 2
Remove the foil and bake for 20-30 mins more until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear, and the vegetables are tender.
- STEP 3
Heat the grill to high. Put the tin under the grill for a few minutes to crisp up the chicken skin, if needed, being careful not to let the asparagus catch. Serve straight from the tin, or on a platter, with crusty bread to mop up the juices.