Juniper & apple red cabbage
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 1 ½kg red cabbage , quartered, tough core removed
- 2 red onions , sliced
- 4 red apples , peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 orange , zested
- 2 tsp juniper berries , lightly crushed
- 1 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 60ml cider vinegar
- 250ml cloudy apple juice
- 25g butter
- STEP 1
Thinly slice the red cabbage, then put in a large saucepan along with the rest of the ingredients.
- STEP 2
Bring to the boil, stirring regularly, then cover and cook over a low heat for 1 hr or until tender and the liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally. Season to taste. Can be made ahead, covered and chilled for two days or frozen for up to one month. Reheat in a pan or in the microwave.