Hot cross scones
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 12
- 225g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50g butter , chilled
- 1 small dessert apple , peeled and cored
- 3 tbsp currants or other dried fruit (chopped if large)
- 50-75 ml milk
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 egg , beaten (optional)
- pack of strawberry laces or a roll of fruit leather, cut into strips the same diameter as the scone
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Tip the flour and salt into a large bowl. Grate the butter into the bowl, toss the mixture together, then rub the bits of butter into the flour until there are no big lumps left.
- STEP 2
Grate the apple into the bowl, then add the dried fruit, 50ml milk and the yogurt, and combine to make a soft dough. If the dough looks dry, add a little more milk. Don’t squeeze it too much and don’t worry if it looks a little lumpy. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out scones using a 4cm round cutter. Combine any off-cuts and cut out more scones until you have used up all the mixture.
- STEP 3
Put the scones on a baking tray and cut a cross across the top of each (adults may have to help children here). Brush some egg over the top, if using. Bake for 10-12 mins or until the scones are risen and golden brown. While they are still warm, lay strawberry laces into the crosses you have cut in the tops of the scones.