Healthy Turkish meatloaf
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- a little rapeseed oil for the tin
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 large aubergine , cut into slices lengthways then finely diced (about 320g)
- 250g pouch cooked brown rice
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- ½ pack dill , chopped, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 2 tsp each ground cinnamon and allspice
- 250g lamb mince (10% fat)
- 2 large eggs
- 227g can chopped tomatoes
For the salad
- 1 pack of three peppers , deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 large courgettes (about 500g), halved and sliced
- 2 large red onions , sliced
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove , finely grated
- handful chopped mint
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line a 900g loaf tin with baking parchment and lightly oil it.
- STEP 2
Put the onion and aubergine in a large bowl with the rice, tomato purée, bouillon, dill, spices and lamb. Mix and squash together with your hands then add the egg and mix again. Tip the can of tomatoes into the base of the loaf tin then pack the mince mixture on top and press down lightly to compact it. Cover the tin with foil and bake in the oven for 1 hr 40 mins, taking off the foil for the last 15 mins.
- STEP 3
Once the meatloaf has been cooking for 1 hr, tip the peppers, courgettes and red onion into a roasting tin and toss with the oil. Roast in the oven with the meatloaf for 40 mins until the vegetables are tender and a little charred.
- STEP 4
Take the meatloaf and roasted veg from the oven, leave the loaf to settle for 5 mins, then tip out onto a platter or board, remove the baking parchment and scatter with dill if using. Toss the roasted veg with the vinegar, garlic and mint and serve them with the meat loaf.