Ham & tomato Stromboli
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus rising
- Serves 6
- 1batch white bread dough (see 'Goes well with' recipe below)
- 6 tbsp good-quality tomato sauce
- 3 wafer-thin ham slices, torn
- 100g ball mozzarella , grated
- handful basil leaf
- 1 egg , beaten
- STEP 1
Make the dough, leave to rise and knock back as stated. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- STEP 2
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a rough rectangle about 40 x 25cm. Spread the sauce over the dough, leaving a small border, and scatter over the ham, mozzarella and basil. Tuck the short sides in and roll up the long side like a Swiss roll. Lift onto a tray, seal-side down, and brush with the egg. Bake for 30 mins until puffed up and golden – don’t worry if there are a few cracks. Leave to cool slightly, then serve sliced on a board.