Halloween cheeseboard with creepy crackers
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus cooling
- Makes 30
- selection of cheeses , including an orange one, blue-veined variety, white one, and if you can find it, a charcoal-coated cheese
- figs , black grapes and celery, to serve
For the creepy crackers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g plain flour , plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds , plus 1 tsp for sprinkling
- black food colouring
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Mix the olive oil with 60ml water, then put in a bowl with the flour, salt, sugar, sesame seeds and a few drops of the food colouring. Mix with your hands until you have a rough dough. If it's too sticky, add a little more flour until it’s smooth.
- STEP 2
Sprinkle a non-stick baking mat or a sheet of baking parchment with some flour, roll the dough out to the thickness of a £1 coin, then use a pizza cutter or knife to cut it into skinny strips. Brush the strips with a little water and sprinkle with some salt and extra sesame seeds. Prick each strip with a fork.
- STEP 3
Transfer the strips with the mat to a baking sheet, separating the strips with a palette knife, and bake for 12-15 mins, or until the crackers are firm and feel hard. Leave to cool. Will keep in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Arrange your selection of cheeses with the fruit and crackers on a serving board.