- 1 orange
- 1 dill plant
- small pot of black peppercorns
- 125g box of sea salt
- 500g bag of demerara sugar
- small pot of coriander seeds
- small pot of caraway seeds
- a fishmonger gift voucher (to buy a 500g boneless piece of salmon)
- pestle and mortar (optional)
- STEP 1
To use the kit: Write the following instructions on the gift tag:
To make the cure for your gravadlax, zest the orange and roughly chop a large bunch of dill. Using a pestle and mortar, grind 1 /2 tbsp peppercorns, then stir in 50g sea salt, 75g sugar, 1 tsp each coriander seeds and caraway seeds, and the zest.
- STEP 2
Put half the dill on a large piece of cling film and place your salmon on top. Cover with all the cure and the remaining dill, then wrap tightly. Place in a dish with something heavy on top to weigh it down.
- STEP 3
Leave to cure for 24-48 hrs, turning the salmon once, then rinse well and pat dry before serving. Will keep in the fridge for up to three days.