Gooseberry & elderflower mess
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 6
- 300g gooseberry (we used red ones - see tip below), tops pinched off
- 50g golden caster sugar , plus 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 600ml pot whipping cream
- about 100g meringue (4-5 large nests), roughly crumbled
- STEP 1
Put the gooseberries, 2 tbsp water and 25g of the sugar in a small saucepan. Gently cook until the gooseberries are just softening and breaking down. Taste, adding more of the remaining 25g sugar as you need, then set aside to cool.
- STEP 2
Put the 2 tbsp sugar, the cordial and cream in a big bowl and whisk until soft peaks form, then cover and chill until ready to serve.
- STEP 3
Just before serving, swirl the gooseberry compote, cream and meringues together and spoon into serving glasses or bowls.