Goat's cheese, spring onion & parsley soufflés
- Preparation and cooking time
- A challenge
- Serves 4 for supper, 6 as a starter
- 25g butter , plus extra butter for greasing
- 25g plain flour
- 200ml milk
- generous bunch parsley , finely chopped
- bunch spring onions , finely chopped
- 150g pack goat's cheese , chopped into small chunks
- 3 eggs , separated
- 4 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Butter four 200ml ramekins or ovenproof dishes, or six 150ml ones. Set the dishes on a baking tray to make them easier to remove from the oven. Melt the butter in a heavy-based pan, stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Slowly mix in the milk to make a thick sauce. Simmer for 2 mins to cook the flour. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, spring onions, goat’s cheese, egg yolks, threequarters of the parmesan and seasoning.
- STEP 2
Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, then fold into the sauce in three batches, cutting through the mixture each time to incorporate the egg white without losing too much air from the mix. Divide between the prepared dishes and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan. Bake for 20 mins for the small dishes and 25 mins for the larger ones until risen and golden. Serve without delay.