Glazed plum cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in about 1 1/2 hrs plus cooling time
- Cuts into 12 slices
- 200g softened butter , plus extra for greasing
- 8 red or purple plums
- 140g golden caster sugar , plus 1 extra tbsp
- 3 eggs , lightly beaten
- grated zest 1 large lemon
- 175g self-raising flour
- 6 tbsp milk
- 85g blanched almond , chopped (the pieces should be quite big)
- 6 heaped tbsp redcurrant or plum jelly
- 2 tbsp cassis (blackcurrant liqueur) or port
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter a 23cm springform tin, line base with greaseproof paper and butter the paper. Halve, stone and slice the plums.
- STEP 2
Beat butter and sugar (minus the extra tbsp) until pale. Beat in eggs, then zest. With mixer on low, beat in flour and milk. Stir in almonds and spoon into the tin.
- STEP 3
Lay the plum slices on top of the batter, overlapping them in circles. Sprinkle with the extra sugar and bake for 55 mins-1 hr. Let it cool in the tin for 15 mins.
- STEP 4
Remove cake from tin and stand on a rack. In a small pan, melt the redcurrant jelly with cassis and 2 tbsp water until reduced to a syrupy glaze, about 5 mins.
- STEP 5
Brush the melted jelly all over the cake. It will seem like a lot, but a thick glaze looks good. Leave to set before serving (best eaten within 2 days).