- 1¼kg-1½ kg ripe tomatoes - as many colours, shapes, sizes and flavours as you can find
A member of the nightshade family (along with aubergines, peppers and chillies), tomatoes are in…
- 50g mixed soft herb - we used chives, thyme, parsley and mint
- 5-6 shallots, diced as finely as you can
Related to the onion (as opposed to being a younger version of it), shallots grow in clusters at…
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp clear honey
Slice the large-to-medium tomatoes and halve the smallest. Pick the leaves from the herbs and roughly chop, then mix the herbs with the shallots.
Choose a large platter and start layering up the tomatoes, mixing colours and sizes. As you finish each layer, scatter with some of the herb-shallot mix and some ground black pepper. Keep layering until everything is used up. Cover and chill for a few hrs. Bring to room temperature 45 mins before serving.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients with some salt, then drizzle over the salad and serve.