Garden tomato salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 2-3 hrs chilling, no cook
- Serves 6 for a starter or lunch, or 8-10 with other dishes
- 1.25kg-1.5kg ripe tomatoes - as many colours, shapes, sizes and flavours as you can find
- 50g mixed soft herb - we used chives, thyme, parsley and mint
- 5-6 shallots , diced as finely as you can
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- STEP 1
Slice the large-to-medium tomatoes and halve the smallest. Pick the leaves from the herbs and roughly chop, then mix the herbs with the shallots.
- STEP 2
Choose a large platter and start layering up the tomatoes, mixing colours and sizes. As you finish each layer, scatter with some of the herb-shallot mix and some ground black pepper. Keep layering until everything is used up. Cover and chill for a few hrs. Bring to room temperature 45 mins before serving.
- STEP 3
Whisk together the dressing ingredients with some salt, then drizzle over the salad and serve.