Fresh peaches with lemon balm & bay syrup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Plus 2 days infusing time
- Serves 6
- 225g golden granulated sugar
- 10 x 10cm/4in sprigs of fresh lemon balm
- 3 small bay leaves , lightly crushed
- juice of ½ lime
- 6 ripe peaches or nectarines
- 227g tub clotted cream , optional
- Balmoral biscuits
- STEP 1
Prepare two days in advance: dissolve the sugar in a pan with 300ml/1⁄2 pint water over a low heat. Put the lemon balm and bay leaves in a bowl. Pour in the hot syrup and lime juice, cover and leave in a cool place for at least 2 days.
- STEP 2
Several hours ahead, have ready a bowl of iced water. Plunge the peaches one at a time into a saucepan of boiling water. Remove from the pan immediately and put in iced water.
- STEP 3
Peel the peaches, then cut them in half and remove the stones. Put the halves in a bowl and strain the syrup over. Cover and chill for about 2 hours, basting from time to time.
- STEP 4
To serve, spoon a peach and some syrup into each dessert glass and serve with clotted cream and Balmoral biscuits on the side.