Flat apple & vanilla tart
- Preparation and cooking time
- Ready in 40 minutes
- Serves 6 - 8
- 375g pack puff pastry, preferably all-butter
- 5 large eating apples - Cox's, russets or Elstar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 25g butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tsp vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 rounded tbsp apricot conserve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Roll out the pastry and trim to a round about 35cm across. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- STEP 2
Peel, core and thinly slice the apples and toss in the lemon juice. Spread over the pastry to within 2cm of the edges. Curl up the edges slightly to stop the juices running off.
- STEP 3
Dot the top with the butter and sprinkle with vanilla and caster sugar. Bake for 15-20 mins until the apples are tender and the pastry crisp.
- STEP 4
Warm the conserve and brush over the apples and pastry edge. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream or crème fraîche.