Family meals: Mild chicken curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2 adults, 1 child
A mildly-spiced curry with a rich yogurt sauce that will appeal to adults and kids alike
- 1-1½ tsp coconut oil (we used Fushi) or sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 1cm fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 x 500g pack chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks), or thighs
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 250g Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp sultana
- handful chopped coriander, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan. Fry the onions gently for 5 – 10 mins until soft. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, mustard seeds, garam masala and cumin and cook for 1 - 2 min allowing the aromas to release.
- STEP 2
Add the chicken and cook for 10 mins over a gentle heat, flipping occasionally and making sure the spices don’t catch. Pour in around 300 ml boiling water until almost covering. Stir in the stock cube and cinnamon stick. Simmer for around 45 mins - 1 hour with the lid off so there is a small amount of thickened sauce at the bottom of the pan. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- STEP 3
Stir in the yogurt and sultanas, heat through gently and serve. Scatter with coriander, if using.