Family meals: Chicken & veg casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves a family of 3-4
A Spanish-style one-pot stew flavoured with paprika and cumin that'll be a hit with children and adults alike
- knob of butter
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots , finely chopped
- 2 medium sticks celery , finely chopped
- 500g approx chicken thigh
- 2 fat garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 red or orange pepper , diced
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas , drained (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the butter in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook gently until softened.
- STEP 2
Add the chicken thighs, garlic, spices and thyme. Cook stirring until the chicken is opaque.
- STEP 3
Pour in the tomatoes, plus one extra can of water or enough to cover the chicken and vegetables. Add the stock and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 50 mins.
- STEP 4
If using, add the chickpeas and cook for a further five mins. Serve with rice. For young children, break the chicken into smaller pieces and serve.