Eton mess scones
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12
- 400g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g butter , cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp caster sugar , plus extra for sprinkling
- 200ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp milk , plus extra for brushing
- good handful small strawberries , halved
- small jar good strawberry jam
- 2 meringue nests , crumbled into chunks
- 200ml tub clotted cream
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder together in a large bowl. Rub in the butter or whizz the lot in a food processor to fine crumbs, then stir in the sugar.
- STEP 2
Warm the buttermilk, vanilla and milk to hand temperature, then quickly stir it into the flour mixture with a knife. Using your hands, bring the dough together, being careful not to overwork the mix.
- STEP 3
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and pat out to a 2.5cm thick round. Stamp out 12 x 5cm rounds, dusting the cutter with flour as you stamp – you’ll need to re-pat trimmings to make 12. Put the rounds onto floured baking sheets, brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with a little more sugar. Bake for 12-15 mins until golden.
- STEP 4
To serve, lightly mash the strawberries with the jam, and fold the meringues into the clotted cream. Dollop some strawberry mixture onto each split scone, and top with a dollop of meringue cream.