Easy spiced salmon kedgeree
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Cook: -
- Serves 4 - 6
- 300g basmati rice
- 100g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp hot curry paste (Madras)
- 1 small red onion , finely chopped
- 225g hot smoked salmon , cut into chunks or flaked
- 4 hard-boiled eggs , shelled then roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions , cut into 3cm lengths and finely shredded
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp each chopped fresh coriander and flatleaf parsley
- STEP 1
Throw the rice into a large heavy-based saucepan, pour over 700ml/11⁄4 pints water and sprinkle in a good shake of salt. Cover and bring to the boil, then remove the lid and allow all the water to be absorbed – this should take about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover again and allow to steam dry.
- STEP 2
Melt half the butter with the oil in a large frying pan. Stir in the curry paste and cook until you start to smell the wonderful aromas.Now add the onion and cook until softened and beginning to brown.
- STEP 3
Next throw in your rice and quickly stir to make sure all the buttery juices are absorbed and the rice is heated through. Now mix in the salmon, eggs, spring onions and lime juice. Stir gently, chuck in the herbs along with cubes of the remaining butter and serve in warm bowls.