Easy sausage & courgette pilaf
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 100g basmati rice
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 sausages , meat squeezed from the skins
- 1 tsp fennel seeds , black onion seeds or crushed coriander seeds
- 1 courgette , sliced into half-moons
- 100g frozen peas
- 200ml vegetable stock
- ½ small bunch of mint , leaves picked and finely chopped
- ½ small bunch of dill , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fat-free yogurt
- STEP 1
Rinse the rice a couple of times until the water runs clear, then leave to soak. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan with a tight- fitting lid, and fry the sausagemeat for 2-3 mins until crisp and golden. Stir in the seeds and courgette, and fry for another 2 mins over a high heat so the water from the courgette evaporates.
- STEP 2
Stir in the drained rice, peas, stock and half the chopped herbs. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 10-12 mins until the rice is tender.
- STEP 3
Fold most of the remaining herbs into the rice. Serve with a scattering of the remaining herbs on top and the yogurt on the side.