Easy beef burritos
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 8/serves 4
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- small pinch of cayenne pepper (more if you want it spicier)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 500g beef mince
- pinch of golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can black beans or kidney beans, with the can water
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- 500g cooked rice, or our Mexican tomato rice (see recipe below right)
- a selection of sliced avocado or guacamole, chopped tomatoes, soured cream, shredded lettuce, sliced red onion, grated cheddar, sliced red chilli and lime halves, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan – a casserole is ideal. Fry the onions for 8 mins, then add the garlic, spices and oregano and cook for 1 min. Crumble over the mince and sizzle for 5 mins, stirring, until browned. Stir in the sugar and leave for a minute, then splash in the vinegar and pour in the tomatoes.
- STEP 2
Simmer for 5 mins then tip in the beans and the water from the can. Season, stir and simmer everything for 20 mins until the beef is in a thick gravy. The sauce can be prepared up to 2 days ahead, chilled and reheated with a splash of water or frozen for 6 months.
- STEP 3
To make the burritos, heat the tortillas following pack instructions. Pile some rice and beef sauce along each tortilla and scatter over your choice of topping. Fold over the ends and roll up to seal. Secure by wrapping with foil if you want. Eat immediately.