Cumin chicken & avocado salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A pinch of chilli gives this a nice kick, perfect in the garden with a few Mexican beers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp mild chilli powder
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast fillets
- 400g pack cherry tomato , halved if large
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- 4 Little Gem lettuces , separated into leaves
- 20g pack fresh coriander
- 3 hass avocados , peeled and thickly sliced
- 6 tbsp Caesar dressing (ready-made dressing is fine)
- 410g tin red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- STEP 1
Mix the oil and spices in a large bowl, then use the mixture to coat the chicken. Pan-fry the chicken (without extra oil) in a large non-stick frying pan for a few mins each side. Toss the tomatoes into any spiced oil left in the bowl, then add them to the pan. Cover and cook for 5 mins more until the chicken is cooked and the tomatoes are warm and starting to soften.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, toss the onion, lettuce, coriander and avocados in the Caesar dressing and pile onto a large platter. Top with small handfuls of the beans and scatter with the tomatoes. Slice the warm chicken and pile on top. Serve with crusty bread or crunchy tortilla chips.
'This has a slightly Mexican flavour, combining warm chicken tossed with cumin and chilli powder, kidney beans and creamy avocado. The tomatoes are slightly cooked too, so their juice bursts into the Caesar dressing as you cut into them – delicious.'