Crunchy baked tomato & onion gratin
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
Simplicity is key to this slowly-cooked vegetarian bake- serve with plenty of bread to mop up the juices
- 3 onions , thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1.2kg mixed tomato , from really big to cherry
- 8 thyme or oregano sprigs, or a mixture, stripped, plus a few more
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 50-85g fresh white breadcrumbs - if you've got a crust, use this so the crumbs are nice and golden
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat half the oil in a pan and gently soften the onions and garlic for 15-20 mins until really soft and sticky but not browned. Put the onions, tomatoes (halve the large ones), herbs, sugar and breadcrumbs in a baking dish, season well and toss together.
- STEP 2
Drizzle with the remaining oil, scatter with a few more herb sprigs and bake for 1 hr until going golden on top and the tomatoes are juicy.