Courgette & tomato linguine
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 as a starter
This sauce is based on the classic Italian bacon and tomato sauce, amatriciana - but it's great without the bacon for veggies, too
- 2 tbsp olive oil , plus extra to serve
- 140g cubed pancetta or diced smoked streaky bacon
- 300g baby courgettes , thickly sliced on the diagonal, or 3 medium courgettes, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- pinch caster sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 x 400g cans good-quality plum tomatoes
- 400g linguine
- handful flat-leaf parsley , chopped
- STEP 1
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Cook the pancetta or bacon until crisp, add the courgettes, then sizzle for 4 mins until golden. Add the garlic and chilli to the courgettes, cook for 1 min, then sprinkle with sugar and splash in the vinegar. Tip over the canned tomatoes, turn up the heat, season with salt and pepper, then simmer for 10 mins.
- STEP 2
While the sauce is simmering, cook the linguine, then drain. Toss the pasta through the sauce, then scatter with parsley and drizzle with a little more olive oil.
INDIAN COURGETTE SALAD
Coarsely grate 2 large courgettes and 1 large carrot, then, toss with 1 small chopped red onion, 4 tbsp olive oil, juice ½ lemon, handful roughly chopped coriander and 1 tsp cumin seeds. Season with salt and pepper and serve straight away as a cooling accompaniment to curry.