Chunky chilli wraps
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Takes 35-40 minutes
- Serves 6
Impress your friends with a tasy chilli supper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil , plus a few extra drizzles
- 750g rump steak , sliced into thin strips
- 1 red onion , roughly chopped
- 4 mild green chillies , seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or hot chilli powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 420g can red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 225g roasted peppers (you can buy these at the deli counter, or in jars), cut into strips
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a wok until it’s very hot. Tip in about a third of the beef and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until it begins to brown. Scoop out the beef and put on a plate. Repeat twice with the remaining beef, adding a drizzle more oil to the pan each time.
- STEP 2
Toss the onion, chillies, cumin seeds and cayenne into the pan, stir and sizzle for 2 minutes. Lower the heat and tip in the tomatoes, kidney beans and roasted peppers. Return the beef to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to bubble. Splash in the Worcestershire sauce and continue to simmer gently for a further 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (At this point, the you can chill the chilli and then freeze it for up to 1 month.)
- STEP 3
To serve, heat the tortillas according to the packet instructions. Pass round the warm tortillas for wrapping up the chilli, then drizzle with soured cream and scatter with fresh mint. Serve with salad.
SERVING WITH SALAD
Roughly shred 1 cos (Romaine) lettuce, finely slice 1 small red onion and halve, peel and slice 1 avocado. Toss everything together with 2 tbsp olive oil the juice 1 lime and some sea salt and pepper.