Chicken salad with crisp bacon
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 4 - 6
Try this lovely fresh summer salad as a dinner party centrepiece
- meat from 1 ready-roasted chicken , shredded
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 1 small red onion , halved, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 100g bag watercress
- 2-3 heads red chicory , separated into leaves and halved if large
- ¾ cucumber , halved, seeds scooped out, then sliced on the diagonal
For the dressing
- STEP 1
Mix the ingredients for the dressing with a little seasoning. Stir in the chicken and loosen with water if necessary.
- STEP 2
Slowly cook the bacon in a large frying pan until crisp and the fat has run out. Drain on kitchen paper. Meanwhile, mix the onion with the oil, vinegar and seasoning.
- STEP 3
Toss the onion with the watercress, chicory and cucumber, then pile onto a platter. Spoon the chicken on top, then break or chop the bacon over the top of that. Serve with crusty bread.