Chicken roasted with winter root vegetables
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 1½ hours
- Serves 4
Prosciutto and chicken is a luxurious combination - and this version is good for you as well - high in fibre, vitamin C and folic acid
- 1small celeriac , peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1in chunks
- 400g swede , peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1in chunks
- 2large sweet potatoes , scrubbed and cut into 2.5cm/1in chunks
- 2medium parsnips , scrubbed and quartered lengthways
- 2large garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- a few sprigs of sage
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast fillets , weighing about 140g/5oz each
- 4slices prosciutto
- STEP 1
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C. Put the celeriac, swede, sweet potato, parsnips and garlic in a large roasting tin. Sprinkle with the olive oil and cumin, and season with salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables together so they are lightly coated in oil. Put in the oven towards the top and roast for 30 minutes.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, lay a couple of sage leaves on each chicken breast, then wrap each with a slice of prosciutto to enclose.
- STEP 3
Take the roasting pan from the oven and turn the vegetables over. Now lay the chicken on top. Roast for 30- 35 minutes more, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is done. Serve with steamed broccoli or lightly cooked Savoy cabbage.
MAKING IT MORE VEGGIE
Substitute a medium butternut squash, 1 large red onion, 1 red and 1 yellow pepper for the root veg and omit the prosciutto.
MAKING IT CHEESY
Goat’s cheese with winter root vegetables: replace the chicken with 175g/6oz of goat’s cheese. Cut into 4 slices and melt on top of the vegetables for the final few minutes of cooking.