Chicken in balsamic, orange & rosemary sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Takes 25-30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 150ml/¼ pint fresh orange juice
- 150ml/¼ pint chicken stock
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp light muscovado sugar
- knob of butter
- orange segments and fresh rosemary sprigs to garnish
- boiled rice and green salad to serve
- STEP 1
Put the chicken between pieces of cling film and flatten slightly by bashing with a pan. Unwrap and sprinkle on both sides with pepper. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat, then fry the chicken for 5 minutes, turning halfway through.
- STEP 2
Pour 2 tbsp vinegar over the chicken, add the orange juice and stock and sprinkle with the rosemary and salt. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and bubble gently for 5 minutes until tender, spooning with the sauce frequently and turning chicken halfway through.
- STEP 3
Stir in the sugar, butter and rest of the vinegar, then sizzle for a few minutes until reduced and glossy.
- STEP 4
Put the chicken in a serving dish, spoon the sauce over and garnish with orange and rosemary. Serve with rice and a crisp green salad.