Cherry & almond Easter cupcakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 24 cupcakes
- 250g pack butter , softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 5 eggs , beaten
- 250g self-raising flour , plus an extra 2 tbsp
- 1 tsp baking powder
- zest 1 orange , plus 2 tbsp of the juice
- 250g natural marzipan , coarsely grated (easiest if chilled beforehand)
- ½ tsp almond essence, optional
- 200g glacé cherry , halved
For the decoration
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and place 24 cupcake cases into cupcake tins. Beat the butter and sugar together with electric beaters or a tabletop mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 250g flour, baking powder, orange zest and juice and beat well till thick, creamy and evenly mixed.
- STEP 2
Toss cherries in the extra 2 tbsp flour and fold into the batter along with grated marzipan and almond essence (if using). Spoon into the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 mins, or until well risen and golden. Leave to cool in tin for 10 mins, then place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- STEP 3
Mix the icing sugar with around 1 tbsp water to make a loose but not-too-runny icing. Ice the tops of the cupcakes and top each one with about 3 mini chocolate eggs.