- 2 medium eggs
- 8 spring onions, trimmed (remove the root and half of the dark green part)
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 slice wholemeal bread, broken into chunky breadcrumbs
- 400g can cannellini bean, drained and rinsed
Slightly kidney-shaped with squarish ends, cannellini beans are from Italy and are creamy white…
- juice ½ lemon
Oval in shape with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile…
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- handful parsley, roughly chopped
One of the most ubiquitous herbs in British cookery, parsley is also popular in European and…
- 1 Little Gem lettuce, roughly chopped
Cook the eggs in boiling water for 6 mins, or longer if you prefer them hard-boiled. Add the spring onions for the final 3 mins of cooking. Remove and run both under cold water. When cool enough to handle, pat the spring onions dry and peel the eggs.
Meanwhile, heat ½ tbsp of the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Tip in breadcrumbs and season. Fry for 3-4 mins until crisp and golden, then set aside.
Toss the spring onions with the beans, lemon juice, mustard, red onion, parsley, remaining oil and lettuce. Season and arrange halved boiled eggs on top. Sprinkle with the crumbs and eat straight away.