Cabbage steaks with apple, goat’s cheese & pecans
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 as a light meal or side
- 1 firm, round cabbage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tangy, red-skinned apple (we used Jazz)
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- about 300g goat's cheese (one with a rind from the cheese counter) cut into four thick slices (we used Soignon)
- 25g pecans , roughly broken
- a few thyme sprigs , leaves only
- good pinch of cayenne pepper or hot smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cut 4 x 2cm slices from the middle of the cabbage, cutting through the central core and leaving it in. Brush all over with nearly all the oil, season well, and place on a baking tray. Roast for 20 mins, turning carefully using a fish slice or wide spatula halfway through cooking.
- STEP 2
While you wait, thinly slice the apple, leaving the skin on, then toss in a bowl with the vinegar and what’s left of the oil.
- STEP 3
Layer the apples on top of the cabbage steaks, roast for 5 mins more, then top each steak with a wheel of cheese. Divide the nuts, thyme leaves and cayenne between each mound. Roast for a final 5 mins until the cheese is starting to melt and the pecans are toasted. Drizzle with the maple syrup and eat straight away.