Bacon & pumpkin pasta
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 140g pancetta or bacon, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 25g butter
- 500g/1lb 2oz pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 20g pack fresh sage, finely shredded
- 400g pasta (we used penne)
- 25g freshly grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- STEP 1
Heat a heavy-based saucepan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and pancetta or bacon, then cook for a few mins. Add remaining oil and the onion. Cook for 5 mins, until the onion softens and the pancetta is crispy.
- STEP 2
Stir in the butter, then tip in the pumpkin or squash and sage. Mix well to combine, then season. Cover and cook for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally until the pumpkin is soft, but not falling apart.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Drain and add to the pumpkin mixture. Stir in the parmesan and season. Serve in pasta bowls sprinkled with extra parmesan.