- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 50g green papaya or mooli, peeled and cut into very thin strips
- 40g carrots, peeled and cut into very thin strips
- 20g banana shallots, cut into very thin strips
- 1 red chilli, cut into thin strips
- 2.5cm piece ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and left whole
- 300ml cider vinegar
- 210g caster sugar
- STEP 1
Mix the papaya, carrots, shallots, chilli, ginger and garlic with a good sprinkle of sea salt and allow to drain in a sieve for 10 mins. Rinse the vegetable mix and drain well.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, bring the cider vinegar, caster sugar and 90ml water to the boil, then turn off the heat. Put the vegetables into two 330ml sterilised jars, or an airtight container, and pour over the pickling liquid. Serve with the chicken inasal (see 'goes well with', below). Will keep in the fridge for five days.