Asian chicken, mandarin & cashew salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- No cook
- Serves 5
- 1 ready-roasted chicken
- 295g can mandarin segment in juice (not syrup)
- 1 red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper , deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 fist-sized chunk red cabbage
- 100g toasted salted cashew
- 60g watercress , rocket & spinach salad
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp mandarin juice from the can
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (if you have it)
- STEP 1
Remove the skin from the chicken and discard, then shred the meat from the bones. Discard the carcass (or freeze for stock or soup another time, see right).
- STEP 2
Drain the mandarin segments over a bowl to catch the juice, then whisk together with the sesame oil and vinegar. If you’re using xanthan gum, put this in a bowl and, using a small sauce whisk, whisk in 1 tsp of the dressing at a time until you have a smooth, runny paste, then whisk in the remaining dressing.
- STEP 3
Layer the shredded chicken, mandarin segments, red onion, pepper, cabbage, salad leaves and sesame seeds in a big salad bowl or on a platter. Pour over the dressing, toss to combine then serve.