Apple scones with blackberry compote
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 8
- 225g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
- 50g butter
- 4 tbsp golden caster sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 apple , peeled, cored and diced
- 125ml milk , plus extra for brushing
- clotted cream and fresh or defrosted blackberry compote (see goes well with), to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Tip flour into a large bowl with butter then rub in using fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Stir in sugar and cinnamon, add apple and give everything a mix.
- STEP 2
Pour in milk and stir it in quickly, then fold dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Tip onto a lightly floured surface; pat into a round about 3cm deep.
- STEP 3
Dip a 6cm cutter into some flour then cut out scones, flouring the cutter each time. Squash offcuts lightly back into a round and repeat until all dough is used up. Brush tops with a little milk then place on to a lightly floured baking sheet and bake for 18-20 mins until risen and golden. Allow to cool on the tray.
- STEP 4
To serve, split scones then spread with a dollop of clotted cream and a spoonful of blackberry compote.