- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cobs choclo corn (a variety of large-kernel yellow corn) or regular corn cobs
- 4 garlic cloves , sliced
- ½ white onion , diced
- 1 yellow pepper , diced
- 4 medium potatoes (red or white), peeled and diced
- 2 spring onions , chopped
- 6 coriander sprigs, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 12 papas criollas (small yellow potatoes), cut in half
- 8 tbsp guascas
- 100ml single or double cream
- 4 tbsp capers , drained
- 1 avocado , peeled, stoned and cut into small cubes
- STEP 1
Put the chicken, corn cobs, garlic, onion, pepper, potatoes, spring onions and coriander in a pan with 2 litres water and bring to the boil, season well, then simmer for approximately 45 mins over a medium heat.
- STEP 2
Remove the corn and the chicken and transfer them to a plate. Blend the remaining ingredients in the pan with a hand blender until you get a creamy consistency.
- STEP 3
Add the papas criollas and the guascas to the pan and cook over a medium heat for around 10-12 mins, or until the papas criollas start to get soft but do not disintegrate.
- STEP 4
Meanwhile, shred the chicken breasts finely with your hands, and cut the corn cobs into thick slices. Put into separate small bowls.
- STEP 5
Put the cream, capers, avocado and extra chopped coriander in small bowls as well, so that everyone can help themselves to what they want. Pour the soup into four soup bowls and serve alongside the other ingredients. Don’t forget napkins for eating the slices of corn.