Member recipe by mrs-h-the-3rd
My Husband is a junk food fiend but he pesters me for Spag Bol at least once a week, it's a good way to hide whatever vegetables I've got lying about.
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 4 bacon rashers, chopped
- 250g beef mince (though this can be increased if required)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 50g chopped mushrooms
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 - 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 - 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 1 - 2 teaspoons basil (dried or fresh depending on what you have)
- 1 - 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Parmesan, grated (optional)
- Over a moderate heat, soften onions and celery, add garlic and bacon and fry until cooked.
- Add mince, this can either be done in batches or else all at the same time, depending on the size of your pan. Let cook through for a few mins, drain the fat if needed carefully, there can be quite a lot depending on what kind of mince you are using.
- Stir in tomato puree, let cook for a minute and then add the tinned tomatoes. I use 2 tins and some water if you like a thinner sauce. Season lightly and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the herbs and sugar, these can be added according to taste. Let simmer for another 10 mins and adjust seasoning. Add mushrooms near the end of cooking, giving them a chance to soften but still keep their shape.
- Serve with spaghetti straight away.