- 4 Cos lettuce leaves, chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 radishes, finely sliced
The root of a member of the mustard family, radishes have a peppery flavour and a crisp, crunchy…
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- 50g cucumber, cut into small cubes
- 25g flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 25g mint leaves, coarsely chopped
There are several types of mint, each with its own subtle difference in flavour and appearance.…
- 1 avocado, chopped into chunky pieces
Although it's technically a fruit, the mild-flavoured avocado is used as a vegetable. Native…
- ½ tbsp sumac (a crushed red, lemony berry; find it in Middle Eastern and Indian markets and online)
This wine-coloured ground spice is one of the most useful but least known and most…
For the dressing
For the dressing, mix the crushed garlic with a pinch of salt, the lemon juice and olive oil. Set aside until ready to serve.
Combine the salad ingredients in a bowl, season and toss with the dressing just before serving. Serve with Crisp Za'atar bread (see below) and Chermoula-marinated mackerel (see 'Goes well with').
Za'atar spice mixGrind 50g toasted sesame seeds in food processor or with a mortar and pestle. Stir in 2 tbsp dried thyme leaves, 2 tbsp dried oregano leaves, 2 tbsp sumac and 1 tbsp cumin seeds with 1 tbsp salt and a pinch of paprika. Keep in an airtight jar and sprinkle over fish, meat or halloumi before grilling.
Crisp za'atar breadSplit 2 pittas through the middle into 4 rounds. Brush all over with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with 2 tbsp za’atar spice mix (see above recipe). Place under a medium grill and toast until crisp.