Herman friendship cake
Member recipe by sarah_harrison
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Cake
You have to keep Herman alive for 10 days then bake him and share with friends.
- STARTER BATCH
- 5oz plain flour
- 8oz castor sugar
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- Half a pint of warm milk
- 2 fl oz lukewarm water
- MAIN CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup of sugar (8oz or 225g)
- 2 cups plain flour (10oz or 300g)
- half tsp (teaspoon) salt
- 2/3 (two thirds) cup of cooking oil (5.3oz or 160ml)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cooking apples cut into chunks
- 1 cup raisins (7oz or 200g)
- 2 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- If you prefer to measure then these are the equivalent measures:
- 1 x cup of flour = 5oz (150g)
- 1 x cup of sugar = 8oz (225g)
- 1 x cup of brown sugar = 6oz (175g)
- 1 x cup of raisins = 7oz (200g)
- This is an Amish tradition. His name is Hermann and he is made for friendship. You can make the starter batch then keep him alive until he is ready to share, making a delicious cake with your part of him.
- What to do: 1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water for 10 minutes and stir. 2. Add the flour and sugar then mix thoroughly. 3. Slowly stir in the warm milk. 4. Cover the bowl in a clean cloth. 5. Leave in a cool dry place for 24 hours 6. Now proceed from day one of the 10 day cycle.
- I am a sourdough cake. I'm supposed to sit on your worktop for 10 days without a lid on. You CANNOT put me in the fridge or I will die. If I stop bubbling, I am dead.
- Day1: Put me in a large mixing bowl and cover loosely with a tea towel. Day 2: Stir well Day 3: Stir well Day 4: Herman is hungry. Add 1 cup each of plain flour, sugar and milk. Stir well. Day 5: Stir well Day 6: Stir well Day 7: Stir well Day 8: Stir well Day 9: Add the same as day 4 and stir well. Divide into 4 equal portions and give away to friends with a copy of these instructions. Keep the fourth portion. Day 10: Now you are ready to make the cake. Stir well and add the main cake ingredients.
- Mix everything together and put into a large greased baking tin. Sprinkle with a quarter of a cup of brown sugar and a quarter of a cup of melted butter. Bake for 45 minutes at 170 to 180C. You may need to cover in tin foil and bake for a further 20 minutes to make sure your Herman is done in the middle.
- Once you have made this recipie why not start again and experiment with other flavours such as chocolate and banana.
- LETS SEE HOW FAR HERMAN CAN TRAVEL AS HE IS SHARED BETWEEN FRIENDS