mac n cheese with a twist
Member recipe by shivaniparikh
Macaroni cheese is the ultimate comfort food, this quick and easy vegetarian recipe uses a variety of different herbs, vegetables and is bursting with rich flavour!
- 80 grams butter
- 3 or 4 tbsp plain flour
- 250 ml milk
- 2 tsp english mustard
- a rough handful of chopped curly leaf parsley
- 300 grams good quality mature cheddar cheese grated- (not processed)
- roughly 350 grams macaroni- (penne or any other shape pasta can be used as an alternative.)
- one finely chopped onion
- small can of sweetcorn drained
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 red chilli chopped and de-seeded
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- assortment of wild mushrooms roughly chopped largely
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices of bread
- Preheat the oven to 200c. After all the ingredients have been measured, put the butter in a steel saucepan and melt it. Once the butter has been melted, stir in the flour. After the butter has been absorbed by the flour, pour in the milk.
- Using a balloon whisk, you have to mix the sauce constantly, not allowing it to stick. after roughly 5 minutes, you should feel the sauce starting to thicken, once it coats the back of a spoon, take it off the heat and stir in the cheese, parsley and mustard.
- Next, separately heat a pan with oil in it and cook the onion until is is translucent with the garlic. Then add the pepper, chilli and mushrooms and cover and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Once the pepper has been cooked and the mushrooms have shrunk considerably uncover and mix in the tarragon, salt and pepper.
- In another pan of boiling water, add the pasta and cook as specified on the pack of pasta and drain.
- Pour the sauce onto the pasta and then fold in the vegetables making sure not to break up the pasta. Put the pasta is an oven proof serving dish and put in the oven for 20 mins or until browned.
- Whilst the pasta is in the oven, grill the bread slices in the grill; this will dry out the bread. halfway through the cooking time, cover the dish with foil and put back in the oven.
- in a food processor grind the dried bread into bread crumbs and sprinkle ontop of the macaroni cheese once it has been removed from the oven.
- please comment and give any feedback :)