Points to remember
- Roll the pastry out to the thickness of a £1 coin, about 4cm (1.5 inches) wider than the tin you’re lining. (If it's a deep tin, you'll need to roll it wider.)
- Use the rolling pin to lift the pastry and help you position it over the tin.
- Press the pastry in using your fingertips and then push it into the corners using a rolled-up ball of pastry trimmings which you have dusted with flour.
- Leave an overhang of pastry around the sides of the tin.
- Prick the base of the pastry case all over with a fork.
- Line the tart tin with baking parchment and fill with ceramic baking beans or dried pulses.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the pastry is firm, then remove the beans and cook for about 5 minutes more, until golden brown and biscuity.
- Trim off any excess using a small serrated knife before filling.