Member recipe by natashalouise
A quick easy and delicious chicken and bacon pie with either short crust or puff pastry.
- 1 packet of ready rolled puff pastry or short crust if you prefer.
- half a cooked chicken (or turkey)
- 1 leek, chopped (or onion)
- 1/2 packet of smoked streaky bacon cut into little pieces
- 3/4 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 oz plain flour
- 1/2 oz butter and a little oil (vegetable or olive)
- Strip carcass of chicken, cutting meat into large pieces. If you prefer you can buy uncooked boneless chicken but you would need to pre cook it at this stage.
- Saute leek (or onion), bacon and mushrooms in the butter and oil. When soft, add flour.
- Add stock, stirring continuously then add the milk so that the sauce is rich and creamy. If the sauce is a little thick, add more liquid.
- Add the pre cooked chicken, and stir carefully until meat is completed coated and empty contents into a large pie dish. Again if you prefer to make this like a more traditional pie you can line the pie dish with the rolled out short crust pastry before putting in the filling.
- Cover with pastr chosen pastry, making a vent in the pie top, and brush with milk.
- Bake in oven on a high temperature (200C/400F/gas 6) for around 25mins or until golden.
- Tip: With the stockcube and bacon, there is no need for extra seasoning however, you could substitute some of the stock with a little leftover white wine.