CAJUN CHICKEN GUMBO
Member recipe by blossomannie
- 1½ Kg chicken pieces
- 2 teasps Cajun spice mix
- 30g butter
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 3 cups chopped Cajun vegetables
- 2 teasps chick stock powder or 2 Knorr chicken stock cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teasps chilli flakes
- 1 whole clove
- 3 allspice berries
- ½ teasp dried thyme
- 3 cups water
- 250g spicy smoked pork sausage sliced thickly
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Season the chicken with spice mix. Melt butter in a large pan, add the chicken and cook for 15 minutes. Remove and keep warm/
- Stir flour into the pan drippings and whisk over high heat for about 5 minutes to made roux (dark brown but not burnt) Add Cajun vegetables to the roux and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to pan, add stock powder, bay leaves, chilli flakes, clove, allspice, thyme and water. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the sausage and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Add spring onions and parsley. Simmer for 2 minutes and service with plenty of steamed white rice.
- NOTE: Cajun vegetables consist of equal quantities of onion, green pepper and celery.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…