Winter Veg and Barley Soup
Member recipe by veganbrum
This healthy soup is brimming with goodness, but certainly won't leave you feeling deprived either.
- 40g butter
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced into 1-2cm pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks of thyme
- 100g pearl barley
- 75ml white wine
- 1.2ltr (2pt) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 2tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the butter in a pan and add all of the veg. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until the veg has just started to soften.
- Stir in the bay leaves, thyme, pearl barley, white wine, stock and tomato puree. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are very tender and the pearl barley is soft.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme stalk and stir in the chopped parsley. season to taste and serve hot.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…