A piping bag, or pastry bag is a conical-shaped bag with a hole at the end, commonly made with baking parchment or plastic. It is filled with icing, frosting or sauce and used to decorate bakes with writing or a special pattern by twisting and squeezing down on the bag. Our easy video guide shows you the step-by-step technique for cutting baking parchment to make a triangle, before folding it into a cone. Cut off the tip to allow the filling to be piped and place in a nozzle for precision. Get more advice on how to master the this technique with our video on how to decorate a cake with piping.
Steps for making a piping bag
- Unroll a length of baking paper and fold one corner up to make a triangle shape
- Mark the crease and cut the paper into a square
- Cut along the crease to make two triangles
- The centre of the longest side is where the nozzle will sit
- While holding on to one corner of the paper bring the other corner up and fold it around the apex of the triangle, securing it with a staple if you like.
- Snip off the end of the bag and drop in the nozzle
- Fill the bag with icing, fold over the top and it's ready to use