Beef in red wine with melting onions
Learn how to make this hearty, meaty stew - perfect as a no-fuss family dinner
Points to remember
- Slice the onions whole so that they can be separated into rings and cut the beef into really big chunks so that they hold their shape during cooking.
- Coat the meat in the flour by placing the flour and seasoning into a food bag. Add half the meat to the bag and shake it then repeat with the other half.
- If your pan is too small to fit all the meat in at once, make sure you brown the meat in batches. If the pan is over-crowded the meat won’t brown properly.
- Bring to a simmer, cover with the lid and place in the oven for 1 hr.
- Remove from the oven, add the mushrooms then return to the oven for a further 1 hr.
- Test that the beef is tender, if it’s a little tough at this point put it back in the oven for 30mins. Serve scattered with chopped, fresh parsley.
Beef shin is the ideal cut of meat for this recipe. It’s also better to buy a whole piece and cut the meat into chunks yourself, as the pre-cut packs often contain pieces that are too small.
Once cooked this stew would be fine to freeze and would keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you want to serve it defrost in the fridge overnight then heat in the oven or a large saucepan until piping hot.