To make the chocolate cake:
- Whisk 200ml oil with 250ml buttermilk in a jug.
- Stir in 2 tsp vanilla extract and three large eggs.
- In a large bowl, add 250g plain flour, 280g soft light brown sugar, 6 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp bicarb of soda and mix with a whisk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Divide the mixture between two lined tins and bake 180C/fan 160/gas 4 for 25 mins. Leave to cool. Re-line a tin.
To make the nest:
- Heat 100g butter and 200g marshmallows gently on a hob until you get a runny mixture.
- Add 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 75g salted pretzels and 4 shredded wheat biscuits. Stir until well combined.
- Tip the mixture into your large tin and use the back of a spoon to form the nest shape. Leave to set in the fridge.
- Beat 150g softened butter, 300g icing sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder and 4 tbsp milk together.
- Assemble the cake by stacking the sponges with icing in between, topping with more icing and the nest.
- Fill your nest with chocolate eggs and serve.
See the full recipe for our Easter nest cake.
More Easter baking inspiration:
What's your favourite treat to have at Easter? Leave a comment below...