To make the hot cross bun cupcakes:
- Add 1 tbsp lemon juice to 100ml whole milk and set aside.
- Brush a muffin tray with melted butter.
- To a large bowl, add 175g self-raising flour, 2 tsp mixed spice, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 175g light soft brown sugar and 100g ground almonds.
- Beat together 3 large eggs, 175g melted butter and zest of 3/4 orange.
- Add the thickened milk, combine, then pour into the dry ingredients.
- Add 100g raisins and 1 grated apple.
- Bake at 180C/160C fan/gas 4 for 18-20 mins.
- To make the buttercream, beat together 50g cream cheese, 25g butter, 50g icing sugar, zest 1/4 orange and 1/2 tsp mixed spice.
- Cut a cross on the cold hot cross bun and glaze with 1 tbsp apricot jam. Pipe the buttercream on top of the crosses.
See the full recipe for hot cross bun cupcakes.
More Easter baking ideas:
What’s your favourite Easter recipe? Leave a comment below…