- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 8
- 2 large onions (weight 280g)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 80g butter
- 1kg celery
- 2 medium potatoes (weight 320g)
- 2 medium cooking apples
- 1400 mls chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- grated nutmeg
- 4 rashers streaky bacon sliced and fried till crisp
- Leaves from the inner celery stalks chopped finely
- 8 teaspoons of double cream
- STEP 1Gently fry onions and garlic in butter until soft.
- STEP 2Separate stalks of celery so that you can save the inner leaves. Chop stalks finely and set aside inner leaves.
- STEP 3Peel and chop potatoes and apples.
- STEP 4Add celery, potatoes and apples to onions season generously with salt and pepper and fry gently with the lid on for about 15 minutes or until ingredients are very nearly cooked.
- STEP 5Add the hot stock, bring to the boil and simmer covered for about 10-15 minutes more.
- STEP 6Liquidize. Add lemon juice and nutmeg and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- STEP 7To garnish each bowl first swirl in tsp of cream and sprinkle celery leaves and bacon on top.