Blueberry Loaf Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 10
Blueberry loaf cake with cream cheese topping
175g very soft butter, plus extra for greasing
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extra
- 200g blueberries
For the cream cheese:
- Soft cheese
- Icing sugar
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan oven. Grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin then line the base and ends with grease proof paper.
- STEP 2Put the butter, sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla extract into a large bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer for 5 minutes until pale and creamy - the mixture will be very thick.
- STEP 3Spread one-quarter of the mix into the tin, then scatter over a third of the fruit.
- STEP 4Carefully dot and spread another quarter of the cake mix on top, and scatter with another third of the fruit, repeat this step.
- STEP 5Finally dot the rest of the cake mix over and gently spread with the back of a spoon.
- STEP 6Bake for 1 hour until an inserted skewer comes out clean, then leave to cool.
- STEP 7Mix the icing sugar and soft cheese to make the frosting then smooth onto the top of the cake. I normally start with 100g of soft cheese and add as much icing sugar as I think it needs.