6" Deep Luxury Christmas Fruit Cake Or A Normal 8" Cake (Slow Cooker)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 1 Deep 6" cake or a normal 8" cake
Extremely tasty Christmas cake perfect for friend's, family & loved ones.
- 600g - 1kg luxury mixed fruit depending on size of cake
- 110g softened butter - extra for greasing
- 1tbsp Black Treacle
- 3 Eggs
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 1tbsp Baking Powder
- 1tbsp Mixed Spice
- 1tbsp Cinnamon
- 150ml - 200ml Brandy (Leave fruit to soak in this overnight)
- Juice & zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice & zest of 1 orange
- 100g Flaked Almonds
- 150g Soft light brown sugar or if preferred use dark brown sugar
- STEP 1Soak your fruit in the brandy, cover with foil or cling film and leave overnight.
- STEP 2In your mixer, beat your butter until light and fluffy. Add the brown sugar and treacle then mix until all combined.
- STEP 3In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together. Add 50g of your flour to the mixture in your mixer then one spoonful at a time add the eggs. This step is important as your mixture could curdle. If this happens add more flour to give it a better hold and consistency. Mix thouroughly.
- STEP 4Fold in the remaining flour, baking powder, mixed spice, cinnamon, flaked almonds and both juice & zests of the lemon and orange. Mix well then add your fruit. Once again mix well.
- STEP 5Grease your cake tin and double line with baking paper then add your mixture. Add some water to your slow cooker then put in your cake tin. Place a towel under the lid and put on high for 3-4 hours (Times vary with each slow cooker)
- STEP 6Remove and allow to cool completely before removing from the cake tin.
- STEP 7Once cooled, feed your cake with more brandy then double wrap in baking paper, followed by cling film and place in a cool dark cupboard. Feed as little and as often as you like. When you are ready to decorate, cover cake in an apricot glaze, cover with marzipan then icing. Decorate how you wish. Enjoy!!!!